Class A Driver Training
Did you know mandatory entry-level training for Commercial Class A Truck Drivers is coming? Check out this Toronto Star article to learn more
Course code: MOTR 2411
Length: 200 hours
Cost: $8,020.00 (includes an $1,265 non-deductible supply fee. Parking is not included)
‘A’ Driver training qualifies as a Second Career Program
Location: Durham College, Whitby Campus
A valid ‘A’ licence is required to tow a trailer which weighs in excess of 4,600 kilograms. This eight-week program consists of 99 hours of practical training and 101 hours of theory. This program qualifies students to write the MTO (Ministry of Transportation) ‘C’ licence exam. Your final road test is conducted by Durham College.
‘A’ Driver training qualifies as a Second Career Program.
Participants will learn:
- Shifting techniques on multi-speed transmissions;
- Regulations on hours of work;
- How to conduct pre-trip inspections;
- How to secure vehicle loads;
- Defensive driving techniques;
- Transportation of dangerous goods;
- Border crossing;
- Map reading; and
- Resumé writing and interviewing skills.
- Final road test conducted by Durham College
Prerequisites are to be completed prior to the start of first class:
Applicants must be 18 years of age and must possess:
- Grade 10 English
- A valid Ontario Class “G” licence;
- Air brake endorsement “Z”;
- MTO medical report, vision test and written test;
- Driver’s abstract;
- Criminal Record Check; and
- Required safety equipment: safety boots, glasses and work gloves.
Have questions? Check out the “AZ”-Tractor Trailer Driver Faq
Want to hear from our past students? Check out our Driver Testimonials
- February 6 – March 31, Monday – Friday 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
- April 3 – May 26, Monday – Friday 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
- May 29 – July 21, Monday – Friday 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
- July 10 – September 1, Monday – Friday 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
- August 28 – October 20, Monday – Friday 7:45 am – 4:00 pm
Withdrawals and refunds:
Refunds will be issued only if the Official Withdrawal form is received no later than three business days prior to the program’s scheduled start date.
Please note: all refunds are subject to a cancellation fee.