Backflow & Cross Connection (Full Program)
Course code: PLMB 1400
Length: 40 hours
Cost: $1,140.00 (includes a $310 non-tax deductible fee for the text book, exam, 5 year certification and supplies. Parking not included)
Location: Durham College Whitby Campus
- June 19 – June 23, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Connections between our potable drinking water supply and sources of pollutants and contaminants present a real danger to our health and well-being.
In today’s industrial world water quality from the source of supply to the point of use is of great importance.
Throughout North America and around the world there have been many well-documented cases of serious illness and death as a result of these cross connections.
As piping systems become more complex it is especially important to identify cross connections and apply backflow prevention devices/methods to prevent contamination. An integral part of a successful cross connection control program is to ensure that the installed devices are tested by qualified testers on an annual basis to verify they are operating correctly.
This course will help you become familiar with devices and methods for Cross-connection control, its application in water supply systems, and the procedures used to test the devices. Upon successful completion of this course you will receive an OWWA (Ontario Water Works Association) certificate as a Cross Connection Control Specialist.
- Backflow prevention terminology;
- Causes and types of backflow;
- Cross connection control programs;
- Device construction (theory and practical);
- Device testing criteria and methods (theory and practical);
- Health and legal aspects of cross connections;
- Hazard identification and degree of hazard;
- Installation practices; and
- Introduction to cross connection control.
- Required safety equipment: safety boots, glasses and work gloves.
Refunds will be issued only if an official withdrawal form is received no later than three business days prior to the program’s scheduled start date.
Please note: all refunds are subject to a cancellation fee.