Heavy Equipment Operator
Spring Intake April 3rd, 2017
This 4-week hands-on program will help participants build the skills needed to operate heavy equipment.
Theory includes Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), hand signals, rigging and soil technology.
Hands-on training will include Pre-operational inspections, site planning and setup, maintenance and operation of the following equipment:
- Tractor Loader Backhoe
- Crawler Dozer
- Tracked Excavator
The training program will include the following:
- Safety and Awareness
- Selecting and maintaining personal protection equipment
- Using effective on-site communications
- Using safe rigging practices
- Applying fire safety procedures
- Applying safe working practices near utilities
- Applying the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Site planning and set-up
- Interpreting survey and grade stakes
- Understanding soil characteristics
- Interpreting the manufacturer’s operator manual
- Conducting a pre-operational inspection
- Start-up and shut-down procedures
- Carrying out routine equipment maintenance
- Understanding equipment failure symptoms and indicators
- Installation and removal of attachments
- Excavating/trenching operations
- Grading operations
- Backfilling operations
- Ramp building operations (crawler dozer)
- Stockpiling operations (crawler dozer)
- Loading operations (loader backhoe, tracked excavator)
- Shuttling operations (loader backhoe)
Participants who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate and wallet card.
Heavy Equipment Operator training qualifies as a Second Career Program. Launched in June 2008, Second Career is a provincial government program that enables laid-off Ontarians to train for new jobs in demand careers.
Length: 160 Hrs (4 weeks)
- April 3 – April 28, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- May 1 – May 26, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- July 24 – August 18, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- August 21 – September 15, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Withdrawals and refunds:
Refunds will be issued only if the Official Withdrawal form is received no later than three business days prior to the program’s scheduled start date.
Please note: all refunds are subject to a cancellation fee.